In his State of the Union Address, President Obama laid out a plan to help responsible borrowers and support a housing market recovery. Details of that plan were released yesterday. However, funding for the proposed program must be approved by Congress, lowering the possibility that it will be implemented quickly. Making sense of the story:
- Operated by the Federal Housing Administration, the plan would allow underwater homeowners to refinance into cheaper federally insured loans. Borrowers with good credit who are current on their loan payments are eligible.
- The measure also streamlines the process of refinancing an underwater mortgage, eliminating the need for an appraisal or submitting a new tax return.
- To qualify, borrowers must be current on their mortgage, have a minimum credit score of 580, and must be refinancing a loan on a single-family owner-occupied principal residence.
- Lenders only need to confirm that the borrower is employed. Loans that are more than 140 percent of the home value probably would not qualify until banks wrote down part of the balance.
- Congress must approve $5 billion to $10 billion in funding, leading housing experts to praise the plan’s objectives with skepticism of it passing this year.
Read the full story from The Mercury News here: “More mortgage relief from the White House – but congressional ‘ok’ doubtful.”
With signs that sales are on the rise for residential real estate, mortgage rates have again dropped to their lowest point in history this week at 3.88% for a 30-year fixed rate mortgage, while 15-year fixed rate mortgage averaged in at 3.17%.
For more details, read Freddie Mac’s article here: “30-year Fixed-rate Mortgage Averages 3.88 Percent“.
Are you still resting comfortably on the fence or are you doing the same thing over and over again–which is the description of insanity!! Get out there now! Prices are great, interest rates are great! What else is there? Oh year, you need a great real estate agent to guide you! Well, since you are reading this and you know I am one with over 20 years’experience, I promise I will not bite!
On the other side of the coin, if you are struggling to make your house payments or about to, I will meet you one on one to go over your situation and help you explore all the avenues to keep your home at no cost. This offer is never made by the so-called gurus or big producer agents personally; you will only meet with their assistants. I have contacts in the legal and accounting arena that are also at your disposal for free, but you will need to contact me for that offer to be complete.
In listing a new property yesterday, the owners that I conferred with were so relieved to know that they have their best option after I counseled and reviewed their situation in detail. The relief and clear mind that was produced cannot have a value placed on it. there are so many options with consequences out there to keep or sell your home, that a consultation is the best prescription.