The basic process on becoming a homeowner
While buying a home is, for most people, an important life goal; the path to owning a home is an unknown one for every first-time home-buyer. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
Following are a few of the basics you should consider early in the home search/buying process–but be sure to check with your agent for more tips and advice on buying a home. (Don’t have an agent? Please give me, John A Silva, a call at (619) 890-3648 and let me help you through this process!)
- Do pre-home search prep:
- figuring out how much you can afford
- getting pre-approved for a loan, and
- Start the home search:
- find a real estate agent (give me, John A Silva, a call to see how I can help!)
- view listings online and in-person
- research neighborhoods (what’s important to you — schools? Walkability? Let me help!), and
- talk to neighbors once you’ve found a potential living
- Make an offer:
- have your agent research any liens and unpaid property taxes about the home before making an offer
- figure out your offer price
- determine your contingencies, and
- finally make your purchase offer
- Your offer was accepted!:
- hire a home inspector
- get the home appraised
- review and sign required transaction paperwork
- make purchase funds available
- complete final verification of property condition, and
- sign closing and mortgage documents
- Congrats on your home!
Contact John Silva or your real estate agent for more information and advice on the home buying process!
Information and infographic from Market Leader.